The club has a total of eight teams playing in various local bowling leagues including the Orrell League on Mondays and Fridays, the Wigan and District Pensioners League on Wednesdays and the Horwich League on Thursdays. Throughout the Summer months on Saturdays and Sundays we also run four internal bowling competitions for members only.
Wigan Subscription is a friendly crown green bowling and social club. Founded in 1852, it become a limited company in 1924. Affectionately known as ‘the Subby’ we cater for all ages from teenagers to 99 years. There are currently just less than 200 members of which approximately 40% are bowlers with the remaining 60% being social members. We are open seven days a week, for 364 days per year closing only on Christmas day.The club is located just off Park Road opposite Mesnes Park. So discreetly placed that, despite living in the Wigan area, many local people are not aware of the clubs existence even though it is only a five minute walk from Wigan Town Centre! The green is widely regarded as one of the best in the Lancashire area with an added bonus of being open all year…weather permitting! We have terraces around the green and a large car park which can accommodate more than forty vehicles.Although the club is now over 150 years old, our amenities are pure 21st century. The use of the club and it’s facilities is available for hire by the members, visiting bowling clubs and the general public alike. Please contact us for further details. The club can be hired for bowling events, private functions such as birthdays, christenings, anniversaries, retirements and also for community use and small business meetings upstairs. Ideal for small Wedding receptions, we are only a short walk across Mesnes Park or two minutes by car from where you have photographs taken on your special day. No function is too small and our club stewards will make you feel most welcome. The spacious lounge overlooking the green is available for hire, it is capable of seating up to ninety people and is well worth checking out. Complementing this is a well stocked bar with a wide variety of reasonably price beers, wines and spirits and a large screen TV used mainly to view Sky Sports. Barbeque facilities are available and we can recommend caterers/djs if required.For the past few years the club has extended a warm welcome to the Wigan Athletic and Wigan Warriors Past Players Associations. With their competitive spirit still burning bright they’ve enjoyed an afternoons bowling and a buffet or barbeque in the early evening. Recently the Wigan Warriors current team and backroom staff relaxed at the club with a game of bowls followed by a buffet. Sportsmens afternoons have proved very popular in recent years. Appoximately ninety members enjoyed guest speakers including former Wigan stars Shaun Wane and Kris Radlinski, broadcaster and commentator Malcolm Lord and former football referee Neil Midgley.Over the years many local charities, particularly Wigan Hospice have been helped in some way as a result of the hardwork and generosity of members and friends.
'Despite living in the Wigan area, many local people are not aware of the clubs existence'